mi·rac·u·lous
adjective1. performed by or involving a supernatural power or agency: a miraculous cure.
2. of the nature of a miracle; marvelous.
3. having or seeming to have the power to work miracles: miraculous drugs.
I might buy that the season, if you were a genuinely committed fan, was marvelous, maybe. A record of 10 and 4 is pretty good, certainly the best in the history of the team, but does the phrase "miraculous season" cheapen the idea of a miracle?
Of course, it's not that the media is alone in over-using the term -- I've even used it myself. It's no miracle that I can find a parking spot or that there is still peanut butter in the jar. The lot is full of parking spots and I bought the darn peanut butter and will buy more. These things are not miraculous (no matter how much I say they are).
We can, and I think should, elevate the profane to contact the sacred, find methods through which we can exercise the sacred within ourselves to touch the world around us. This is, in my humble opinion, the reason we gather together in sacred places to expand our hearts in such a way as to demonstrate the nature of the Divine within the limitations of the mundane. Moments in which we achieve this are miraculous.
Admittedly, I have become a bit of a cynic about professional sports, but I'm still a bit of a fan (especially of my beloved Packers). No matter how unlikely a team's record, however, I cannot label it a miracle. I'll save that designation for those moments in which we insignificant and temporal human beings come together to exercise that in us which is Divine.
No comments:
Post a Comment